Friday 20 March 2020

Resistance is Strength

I went out for a ride on my bike early this morning to snap some trees because the light was nice, but as I got to the tree I wished to capture the disc brakes on my bike seized up and wouldn't release, and so my front wheel would only go around if I could overcome the resistance from the brakes still being on. 

It wasn't so hard to ride on the flat but it was a right bastard going uphill. I thought about calling a big taxi to pick me up and also pondered doing a wheelie all the way home but then realised that strength is a product of resistance. 

When you go to the gym you can raise up objects that want to go down, push other objects outward that are designed to squeeze you inward, and run forwards upon objects that keep sending you backwards. Resistance leads to strength, and resistance is anything which requires energy in order to be overcome. And so we build up our strength by expending it. By using it up. The more we use it up, the more we have to use up as long as it isn't used wastefully or in vain, is directed in the right way, at the right thing and at the right time.

By the time I'd got back home my thighs looked like they belonged to Wolf from Gladiators.

Resistance may be a source of strength, but what happens to the fuse in a plug which has a resistance too weak to sustain the current passing through it? It blows.

Therefore it's not enough just to go with the flow. It's not always wise or safe to abandon ourselves so recklessly or rashly. As best we can we must try to establish the maximum strength of the current we are about to yield all control to before surrendering to its impulses and desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment