Wednesday 9 October 2019

People Are More Amazing Than They Know

People are more amazing than they know
I asked a friend at work if he could program a robot to scratch its nose
He said "You what?? What are you talking about???"
I said "Can you write the computer code to make a humanoid robot scratch its nose?"
He said "Ben, what drugs are you on?!! You know I don't know anything about computers!"
I said "Can you scratch your own nose?"
He said "Is this one of your psychology tests again??"
I said "Can you scratch your own nose, yes or no?"
He said "Of course I can you cretin!"
I said "Go on then!"

He scratches his nose

I said "You see!!!"
He said "Seriously Ben. What is wrong with you??!!"
Ten minutes later I said to him "Hey, can you program a robot to whisper only when it is in the same room as our house manager?"
He said "Ben! We've literally only just started our shift! It's 7:45am for Christ's sake!"
I said "Yes or no!"
He said "NO! Now go away from me!!"

A couple hours later our house manager walks into the kitchen to address everyone

I said to him "Hey, can you do what I asked you to do for the robot before whenever in the presence as our house manager?"
He whispered "F*** off"
I said "You see!!!"
It just goes to show that even though my work colleague doesn't have the slightest knowledge about writing machine code, he's able to re-program himself in an instant without even having to think. It's easy to forget that we all come housed in a top of the range biological robot we instinctively know how to write super sophisticated code for, effortlessly.

If we have this power at our disposal at all times then surely it must be easy for us all to program ourselves to do precisely what it is that we ought to be doing. Mind and body aligned and working in perfect harmony

No comments:

Post a Comment